Vietnam is known as a lovely place to live and work. But Vietnam visa seems to be a barrier for many foreign travelers or ex-pats as most of them can get only a visa valid 1 – 3 months. Also, the fee to do visa extension quite expensive, therefore the Vietnam visa run through a borderland or to another country by air is the best option to get a new visa. You can get a new visa stamp then come back straight away or spend a couple of days outside Vietnam for a short trip.
1. How to do a visa run through international airports
First steps, you need to find cheap flights to adjacent countries, such as Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia… on www.skyscanner.com.vn or www.google.com/flights. Keep in mind to check about visa requirements for those countries.
Second steps, applying online for a visa on arrival airport. You can apply with us in HERE or with another trusted agency and make sure you will be received the visa approval letter before coming back to Vietnam.
You can check our processing fees for the visa invitation letter here.
After that, on the way returning to Vietnam, head to the “Visa on Arrival or Landing Visa” counter, submit your passport, the visa approval letter, a full-filled Vietnamese visa application form (you can download and fill in the form in here in advance), two passport-size photos size 4×6 (white background) and cash in US$ to the Immigration Officer for the stamp fee. The Vietnam visa fees are showing as bellow:
You will get a new visa stamp after the Immigration unit completes checking the applicant’s information and the visa approval letter. Then you need to go through the passport control to get an entry stamp and that’s it.
2. How to do a visa run through a borderland (Vietnam to Laos, Cambodia or China).
First steps, find a closest international borderland with your location (here is a list of borderlands where you can apply and get a new Vietnam visa).
After that, apply for an approval letter with the specific name of the borderland from our company or any other trusted agency before you leave. You have to bring the original letter (not a scanned copy sent via email) to be able to get a visa stamp sticker at a border checkpoint. This original letter can be mailed to you by post, or delivered to your location or picked up in person at a visa agency.
Tips: before applying for a visa approval letter at a borderland, you need to check about Laos/Cambodia/China visa policy, and your passport validity.
How to get a Laos/Cambodia/China visa:
Besides visa exemption cases, foreign visitors can be obtained a visa on arrival ports without applying in advance. (Click here for more detail)
Visa on arrival fee: Visa fee varies depending on nationality, the fee is between 30-45 USD. The visa fee for US citizens, UK, and European passport holders is 35 USD, for Canadian passport holders is 42 USD, for Sweden passport holders are 31 USD. For Australian and other nationalities the fee is 30 USD.
* Visa fees are payable in cash only (US dollars, Lao Kip or Vietnam Dong).
Incase you’re required to obtained a visa sticker before going to the borderland, you can apply at local Embassy/Consulte at:
- In Ho Chi Minh: 93 Pasteur street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1.
- In Ha Noi : 40 Quang Trung street, Tran Hung Dao Ward, Hoan Kiem District.
- In Da Nang: 16 Tran Quy Cap, Da Nang city.
Also, you can apply for E-visa at: laoevisa.gov.la. The processing time is 3 – 4 business days.
– Your original passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity and 02 blank pages for a visa sticker and other stamp.
– A Visa Application Form filled in and signed by the applicant (available at the visa window at Lao ports of entry).
– Two (02) recent passport-type photographs size 4×6 cm with white background. If you are unprepared there will be an extra fee (around US$ 5).
– All the visa fees in cash.
For those who need a Cambodia visa may be obtained a visa on arrival ports without applying in advance. It cost only US$ 30 for tourist visa or US$ 35 business purposes. You should choose the tourist one for the visa run to save your money. The visa fees are payable in cash only (US dollars, Cambodian Riel and Vietnam Dong). (Click here for more details)
– Your original passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity and 02 blank pages for a visa sticker and another stamp.
– A Visa Application Form filled out and signed by the applicant (available at the visa window at Cambodia border side).
– Cash for the visa fees.
Foreign travelers who required to obtain a Cambodia visa in advance can apply at the Embassy/Consulate:
- In Ha Noi: 71a Tran Hung Dao street, Hoan Kiem District.
- In Ho Chi Minh: 41 Phung Khac Khoan street, Da Kao Ward, District 1.
Also, you can check and apply for the E-visa to Cambodia at: www.evisa.gov.kh. The processing time is 3 business days.
Foreigners who need a visa to China can apply at the Embassy/Consulate in:
- Ha Noi: 46 Hoang Dieu street, Diện Ban Ward, Ba Đinh District.
- Ho Chi Minh: 175 Hai Ba Trung, Ward 6, District 3.
What you need to do at the borderland for the Vietnam visa run?
After arriving a borderland, you need to:
- Walk to the Immigration check-in point where you will get the Vietnam exit stamp and cancel your current visa.
- Go straight to the Laos/Cambodian/Chinese zone to apply for their visa or show their visa stamp (if you already applied). After checking, Officers at the check-in point will put the entry stamp. Turn back to get their exit stamp then go back to Vietnam border side.
- At the Vietnam borderland, you need to submit the original visa approval letter, your passport, 02 passport photos size 4×6 (white background), visa application form (na1 form) and cash for stamping fee (same as the stamp fees at Vietnam international airports). Then wait until they finished and get a new Vietnam visa stamp into the passport. All done.
How much does it cost?
The visa costs are various as it depends on the type of visa, transportations, visa for adjacent countries (if any)…let take a look in here for more detail
For the visa run through Vietnam international airport.
Besides the flight ticket, you should think about another expensive for a short day trip such as accommodation, food, visa for adjacent countries, and Vietnam visa fee. In here, we can show you our sample about the visa on arrival fees, the rest you need to check on the internet.
For the visa run through the borderland.
The visa run to a borderland would be cheaper. Also in most cases, you can get a new visa within a day. By just calculate you’re distant to borderland and the visa fee of adjacent countries plus the Vietnam visa fees, you could know how much money you need to prepare.
Besides the visa fees, you might need to spend extra money on quick service at borderland. In this case, you need to check and confirm with the local guide before handle your application to him.
- REMEMBER to check the expiry date of your current visa. Of course, you need to pay for the fine when you submit with the expire-visa. The fine depends on how long you have overstayed. Also, with the visa expired for more than 5 days, you might need to go back a big city to pay for the fine and get a new visa.
- Make ensure your passport has a minimum validity of six months with at least 02 pages left.
- Incase you have a new passport (blank passport), you need to bring the old one and the new one together. In some cases, you need to switch the current visa on the old passport to the new passport. Therefore, please contact with the Immigration or visa agency for more advices.
- Prepare money for visa fees in cash and would be better by USD. You can pay by VND but the exchange rate is not the same with the exchange rate on the internet. Also, ATM machines may not near a borderland.
- Working hours at the borderland from 7:30 until 17:30pm every days, even on the weekends or public holidays.
- Do not follow any strange guide at borderland to avoid hassle things. It better to wait and apply for the visa by your self. Incase you need a fast track service, or a guide for visa, you can check and deal with the visa agency.
After all, kindly let us know if you have any questions about Vietnam visa run via:
Hotline/Whatsaap/Viber/Zalo (+84) 902 795 056 – 918 709 338
Or email@example.com – firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply